Brian and Carolyn dive into the year 2020 with a characteristically reflective episode where we review the highs and lows of 2019 and our ambitions and intentions for the year ahead. From Brian’s “tripped on a skateboard, slipped on a banana peel, did a triple lutz, and somehow stuck the landing” to Carolyn’s “living in the surprise of it”, we talk about the tribulations of evaluation consulting and finding our respective niches, how the ‘sausage gets made’ vis a vis the podcast, tease our respective plans for 2020 and some potential episode topics and guests, and go deep on what it all means. Will Carolyn get that Red Rose tea sponsorship? Will Brian keep his digital spaces decluttered? How many books does Carolyn sleep with? Will Brian EVER have a Year of the Trombone? And how are evaluators like Casper the Friendly Ghost? Only time (and this episode) will tell!
- We basically mentioned half of our past episodes, so just go listen to those!
- Evaluation for Social Change and Transformational Learning – Simon Fraser University (it’s possible we’re now referencing this course more frequently than we’re name-dropping MQP #SorryNotSorry!)
- The Beehive Productions online courses that Carolyn was involved in: The Art of Evaluating in Complexity (Chris Corrigan with Trilby Smith, Rita Fierro, Jara Dean-Coffey, and Carolyn) and Developmental Evaluation: The Art of Learning (Rita Fierro and Carolyn)
- Evaluation Foundations Revisited: Cultivating a Life of the Mind for Practice, by Thomas Schwandt
- Evaluation Failures: 22 Tales of Mistakes Made and Lessons Learned, edited by Kylie Hutchinson
- Creativity, Inc.: Overcoming the Unseen Forces That Stand in the Way of True Inspiration, by Amy Wallace and Edwin Catmull
- “The Pragmatic Dreamer”, poem by Chris Lysy
- Equitable Evaluation Initiative
- Brian’s blog post about intentions